Friday, February 17, 2017

Reading Notes Week 6: Japanese Fairy Books, Part A

I think frogs can be placed into stories in many different ways. I think writing a story about frogs would be fun because I could steer away from the typical frog/price theme and turn it into anything I want. In this story, two frogs go on a journey together and they realize they are exactly alike. I really enjoyed reading the Japanese Fairy Books because unlike the other books I have read for this course, each of the stories were about different things, rather than continuing the same story in each part. The second story is about a stonecutter with many tools. He was a hard worker who lived in a small house. It inspired me to want to write a story about a small cottage with a deep, meaningful story behind it. I also think a scary story about a creepy, eery cottage would be fun to write about since I haven't written a horror story before. In this story, there was also a golden umbrella. It intrigued me because of it's significance. The stonecutter made a wish to become a prince so he could have gold things and to his surprise, his wish was granted. Even as a price, he was still greedy for more. It made me think of the term, "be careful what you wish for." Some people with so little are the most grateful ones in the world, and those who have it all are constantly wanting more.


(Photo from: Jon Sullivan)

Bibliography: Japanese Fairy Tales by Andrew Lang

No comments:

Post a Comment