Sunday, February 26, 2017

Reading Notes Week 7: Brer Rabbit, Part A

The first thing I noticed when reading the story was the unique dialect. I found it difficult to read so I read some of it aloud and listen to the rest with the audio recording provided. Even the recording spoke in an accent when reading quotes from the characters. Without it, I don't think I would've understood much of the story at all. My favorite part about this story is Brer Rabbit's sassy attitude. I think it is kind of ironic how the main characters of this story are a rabbit and a fox, since these two animals clearly don't get a long very well. I was also confused why every animal had the term "brer" in front of it in the story, so I looked up the meaning of brer and found out it's just an informal title, similar to the term brother. I like how all the characters in this book are animals, but with human characteristics (the ability to speak to one another). 

I liked the story "Why Mr. Possum Loves Peace" the best out of all the stories in part one. Brer possum played dead when avoiding a situation he didn't want to be a part of and he gets in an argument with Brer Coon (a raccoon). 


Brer Rabbit 

(Photo by: A.B. Frost


Bibliography: Brer Rabbit by Joel Chandler Harris

No comments:

Post a Comment