Monday, April 17, 2017

Week 13 Storytelling: The Little Mermaid Sequel

Ariel and the Prince were as happy as ever. She had moved into his glorious mansion, her humanity was in tact forever, and the Prince loved her more than anything in the world. Of course she headed out to the sea in her husbands yacht to visit her beloved father and siblings in the ocean. They always smiled and were happy to see her, but she knew deep down her siblings were a little jealous of her new lifestyle. They had always envied her beauty, but now they had the fact that she had two working legs and a gorgeous husband to add to their list. 

Ariel wasn't just stopping by the ocean for fun today, this time she had big news to tell her family. "Daddy, guess what?!" exclaimed Ariel. "We're having a baby!" 

Her father's face turned red with rage. "How dare you give birth to a human, Ariel," he said. "What a disgrace." 

Ariel hurried home, sobbing, not expecting this reaction from her family. She figured they would be happy for her, she was finally living out the life she always imagined. Life under the sea may be for them, but she wanted to stay on land forever. She decided it was best to not tell the Prince about the horrible reaction from her family. She continued staying strong through the pregnancy, but deep down she was depressed and angry at her family. Over time, she grew weaker and not healthy by the end of the pregnancy. Her spirits were down and the Prince did everything he could to make her feel better. She couldn't keep food down, she was pale and her eyes were dark with sleep deprivation. 

When she finally went into labor, she wished more than anything for the support of her family. She felt so alone and abandoned, even though she knew how much her husband loved and cared for her. Ariel was lying in the hospital bed, sweating and holding back tears when the doctor came in and handed her a message in a bottle. She knew the only person who would send this form of a message was from under the sea so she rushed to open it. 

We'll love you forever and we can't wait to meet the beautiful new baby. She is going to be gorgeous and driven just like her mother. 

Love,

Dad

Ariel wept with joy and immediately felt better. She gave her husband a big hug and easily delivered her baby girl. The happy couple couldn't wait until the baby was old enough to bring out to see to meet her grandparents. They raised their baby on land, but taught her so much about where her mom was from. The little girl was so intrigued by the ocean, so they spent most of their free time going to the beach. When the girl was just 4 years old, they took her deep into the depths of the ocean to meet the rest of her family. 


Bibliography: The Little Mermaid by Hans Christian Anderson

Author's Note: As I finished reading The Little Mermaid for Week 13, I realized a sequel would be fitting for the story since it kind of ends with a cliff hanger and we don't really know what will happen next for Ariel and her Prince. The Little Mermaid ends with the Prince falling in love and marrying Ariel, who would now be able to remain human for the rest of her life. She is sad about the sacrifices she has made and is given the choice to kill the Prince to become a mermaid again. She is too loving to do such a deed and chooses not to. My sequel isn't and exact fit from what happens in the end of the original story, but I was using my imagination and wanted Ariel and the Prince to have a child. I figured her father's reaction would be much like I depicted it if they were to actually have a baby. Ariel has some struggles in my story, but it ends well with her whole family having her back. They are able to raise their child with no drama in the family and she doesn't miss being a mermaid because she loves her new life so much. I had fun creating my own addition to my favorite childhood movie.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, I love The Little Mermaid! The title immediately has me hooked. I enjoyed the twist you added in the story. I definitely did not expect it, and I love how the dad revealed his true nature. It was a spur of the moment anger, and he didn’t mean what he said. Great way to relieve the cliff hanger. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Jamie! I love that you wrote a story about the Little Mermaid, because that is the next story I will be adapting for my storybook. I think it was a really great idea to write a sequel. There is so much life left for the characters of these famous tales to explore! I think it was smart to make her dad angry for giving birth to a half-human baby. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a fun idea for a story! I loved this movie growing up, but I had never really thought about what happened after the wedding. I was surprised at her father’s reaction. What did he think was going to happen when she became a human and married a human? I like how you presented struggle and conflicts like there are in real families, but how it ultimately was resolved. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Jamie! I really LOVE this story. I always loved the story of The Little Mermaid growing up. I never would have thought to write a sequel to the story but you made it fit so well. I can definitely see all this actually happening. I also liked how you included more information about the original source in your Author's Note.

    ReplyDelete