Monday, January 23, 2017

Feedback Thoughts

I personally really like both giving and receiving feedback. I like to know what people like and don't like about something, so that I can improve and continue doing things right. I think there are ways for feedback to always be positive, even if you are telling someone an improvement or change they should make. I definitely don't get offended by negative feedback, it may not feel great to hear in the moment, but when you realize the feedback is right and can make you better, it is much easier to accept. Complacency is one of my biggest pet peeves in life and I think feedback is a great way to avoid being complacent with whatever occupies your time. 

"5 Tips for Taking Feedback like a Champ
I really liked this article because it was honest and didn't sugar coat the reasons why people should accept feedback. My favorite of the 5 tips was the first one, "Realize that feeling uncomfortable is healthy, normal, and part of the growth process..." I always like to push myself out of my comfort zone, because it helps you grow and improve when you do something you have never done. I often push myself to speak in front of large groups of people because I know that is something I don't really enjoy doing, but the ability to do it often comes in handy. I also push myself out of my comfort zone when it comes to cheerleading because having boys on the team throw me around in new stunts and pyramids can be scary at times, but after you get the first couple tries out of the way, you realize you are capable of more than you thought. 

I loved this article because I am a firm believer that mindset is everything. When you have a positive mindset, everything is better. The voices in your head can be negatives at times, but you have to see the good in every situation. When you let yourself believe you aren't good enough or let others bring your down, you are just bringing yourself down instead of building yourself up. My favorite thing about your mindset is: you have control of it. 

This article was interesting to me because I hadn't thought much about the way I give compliments and how it effects the person I give them to. The article gives examples of ways to phrase compliments for them to be effective, but not boost the persons self esteem TOO much to where they think they are better than everyone else. 

This one is probably my favorite/most effective article out of all the ones I read. Each of the 7 tips were all very useful and helped me learn just how important feedback really is. I knew it was helpful before, but it truly is vital to improving. If you think about if you never got anyone's advice or opinion on what you are doing, how do you know if it is effective and useful? 


(Photo from: Flickr)



No comments:

Post a Comment