Sunday, March 26, 2017

Reading Notes: Alaskan Legends, Part A

I think this story was interesting because the characters are referred to as man and Raven. I think it is interesting that he isn't given an actual name. This story takes place before there were people on Earth. The first man encounters a black Raven who transforms into a man. I want to write a story about an animal that can transform into a human whenever it pleases. I like how Raven is constantly making things and helping people throughout the story. Eventually, he turned a man into a bear and he didn't like it. Then, he turned back into a man, but used the bear hide to make another white bear. According to this story, this is how white bears were brought onto Earth. Raven showed the man all kinds of animals he didn't know about. He even introduced him to all kinds of sea creatures. Raven has the ability to take people places with his mind. He is never satisfied with the way things are and continuously contributes to making the Earth better. This was the first story I had read that was placed in Alaska and I really liked it. I would definitely read another story from Alaska in the future. 


(Photo from: Alaskan Legends by Katharine Judson)

Bibliography: Alaskan Legends by Katharine Berry Judson

No comments:

Post a Comment