Monday, March 27, 2017

Reading Notes: Alaskan Legends, Part B

I like how most of the stories within this unit are about animals. I also find the outfits and furs the people are wearing very interesting. The imagery within the stories help me have a really vivid picture in my mind as I read. The chief's daughter is my favorite character within this story and I would like to write a story about a chief's daughter in my future. She is trapped in a marriage she is not happy with and is desperate to be rescued. 

The Chilkat Blanket is a blanket hand woven that told of the chief's daughter's life and courtship. All of the people in the tribe learned how to weave this type of blanket. 

In the story The First Woman, a young man marries the only woman on Earth. Then two men pulled the women into two parts and then made wooden body parts to complete them, making two women. This story was a little confusing to me because it is clearly fictional, but a lot of these Alaskan legends talk about there not being many women on Earth yet. 

Photo from: Alaskan Legends- Origin of the Chilkat Blanket

Bibliography: Alaskan Legends by Katharine Berry Judson

No comments:

Post a Comment